Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese practice of encouraging the positive flow of energy in the cosmic space. The way various objects are arranged has a bearing on the energy and can have positive or negative effects on the lives and attitude of the people who live there. However, learning Feng Shui technique is not that easy as it requires years of research and practice. In order to have a successful career as a Feng Shui practitioner, you will need to seek training and certification. If pursued properly, Feng Shui can give you a different perspective of looking at spiritualism and also at one’s inner self.
There are some basic things which you need to cover before wanting to become a Feng Shui consultant. We have come up with 8 basic things which you need to do first.
- Do some preliminary research into the philosophy of Feng Shui- You can find books that describe this ancient Asian practice in libraries or book stores. You can also find DVDs about Feng Shui online, or through sites like Amazon.com.
- Sign up for a Feng Shui training course. You may be able to get your first introduction to Feng Shui through a Lifelong Learning Course at a local college, a center for integrative medicine or online. You will need a good introduction to the concepts before starting to organize yourself as a practitioner.
- Begin practicing in your own space. Experiment with the basic principles you have been taught with your own home. It may take months or years to be able to figure out the practical applications of what you have learned.
- Go through an advanced training course or certification. Contact the American Feng Shui Institute, The Center for Feng Shui or similar organizations to inquire about their programs. Some advanced programs include time training in China, learning the traditional methods of Feng Shui in its birthplace.
- Volunteer to give friends and family members a Feng Shui consultation. A large part of Feng Shui consultation is taking into account the clients' feelings, needs and history. Practice as much as possible in order to develop your personal approach.
- Find a Feng Shui mentor. You may need to go to a large metropolitan area in order to find a consultant who will not be a direct competitor. Propose an arrangement to give the mentor free help in exchange for a week or month observing their practice.
- Choose a location to work as a Feng Shui consultant. Large metropolitan areas on the East and West coast are likely to offer you the largest potential customer base. Other places like Houston, Chicago and Las Vegas, where there is plenty of new development and building, would also be good choices.
- Consider how you want to model your business, based on your training and observation. Some people cater to private homes, others to architects and builders, while still others work with Feng Shui organizations to provide services. Research what will work best in your chosen location.